The ramblings from a small quilt shop on the South Islands West Coast of New Zealand

Friday, September 3, 2010

Shake, rattle and roll

Here in New Zealand we are used to the many earthquakes that we get, I mean they call us the 'Shaky Isles' don't they?earthquake
Anyway, last night, or rather early this morning at 4.35  Christchurch was hit by a 7.4 earthquake.  Many buildings are damaged and continue to get damaged from the aftershocks. 
My thoughts and love are with those in the Garden City.  I was fortunate enough to talk to Miss Deb after she sent me a text message, and she is fine and has received minimal damage, same goes for Darlene - thank goodness. 
We live on the other side of the Alps from Christchurch yet we have a couple of cracks in the lounge wall and we certainly got the early morning wake up call, so I can only imagine just how strong it was at the centre.
Take care of each other
hugs
Miche'le
p.s. for those of you interested in seeing what is happening go to http://www.tvnz.co.nz/ they are having great coverage.

11 comments:

  1. WOW...having trouble getting a comment to post here.....hope this posts. I wanted to thank you for getting online to give us an update and also to tell you that I hope things stabilize there soon and you all stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son lives in Chch and rang early to tell me about the earthquake. Luckily he only had a couple of minor breakages. Imagine if the earthquake had struck during business hours, there would have been a lot more injuries then. We who live in NZ tend to put earthquakes out of our minds......until they strike again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad to hear you are safe and Miss Deb also........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been so petrified girls. Talk about fill your treasures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know everyone is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are ok. We have tried to reach rellies and friends by phone, but cannot get through.
    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about it this morning- wow! So unexpected! Glad no one was injured.

    Southport is mainly Victorian brick so it would be flattened if it happened here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen a little bit on TV ... very scary stuff!
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My cousin used to live in New Zealand. Glad you are all okay. x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for popping by and leaving a comment. I enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas and will get back to you if needed, hugs - Miche'le

Related Posts with Thumbnails

By Hoki Quilts, the shop

By Hoki Quilts, the shop
Come on in..


visited by Fiona (fionamarie.com) and her daughter



Visited by Gail Garbor