The ramblings from a small quilt shop on the South Islands West Coast of New Zealand

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Marking dark fabrics for quilting

Recently I managed to finish a 100" square Amish inspired 'Bears Paw' quilt. Every block was done in a different coloured Homespun and there were 36 blocks all up, all on black.  Well, I decided to handquilt the entire thing and after slowly working my way through a variety of markers with varying degrees of success I came across a great idea towards the end - as you do!
I wanted really fine lines and had discovered those magical markers where the marks disappear with a steam iron.  Unfortunately, the lines were never thin enough so in desperation I emptied out my chaco marker and filled it with the magic marker powder - ta daa, fine lines that don't rub off but do steam off at the end of the project - give it a go, it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou so much for popping by and leaving a comment. I enjoy reading your thoughts and ideas and will get back to you if needed, hugs - Miche'le

Related Posts with Thumbnails

By Hoki Quilts, the shop

By Hoki Quilts, the shop
Come on in..


visited by Fiona (fionamarie.com) and her daughter



Visited by Gail Garbor